BBQ Gochujang prawn skewers with fennel and orange salad
Gochujang is a Korean chilli paste used as a marinade in Korean barbecues. I love the complexity of the flavours, it’s sweet, savoury and spicy at the same time. Prawns are a staple in every Aussie barbecue, it made sense to marry the two. I’ve teamed it with a salad of fennel and orange segments to keep it light and refreshing.
Ingredients (serves 4 as part of a shared meal)
24 Prawns, peeled
1tbsp Gochujang paste
2tbsp soy sauce
1tsp rice bran oil
1 small bulb of fennel, sliced thinly
segments from 1 orange
1tbsp dill, roughly chopped
Juice of half a lime
3tbsp olive oil
- For the marinade. combine Gochujang paste, soy sauce, oil and sugar into a bowl and mix well.
- Skewer 3 prawns onto skewers that have been soaked for at least 10 minutes.
- Brush marinade onto the prawn skewers liberally. Cover and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes, overnight for best results.
- Heat the bbq up to high. Place skewers onto the bbq and cook prawns for 1 minute, then flip and cook for a further 30 seconds. This timing will depend on how big your prawns are, my prawns were medium sized.
- For the salad, whisk lime, olive oil, salt and pepper until well combined. Pour over fennel, orange and dill, toss lightly.
- Serve immediately.
This recipe is sponsored by Pacific Epping, Mermaid Seafood and Fresh Fruit World.